Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Some beautiful thoughts from "Tuesdays with Morrie"

So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things.

These thoughts are from "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom.
I felt as if time were suddenly precious, water going down an open drain, and I could not move quickly enough.
(On his favourite Uncle's death)
Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do.
Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it
Learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others
Don't assume that its too late toget involved
I asked myself, 'am I going towithdraw from the world, like most people do, or am I going to live?' I decided I'm going to live --- or at least try to live --- the way I want, with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure.
There are some mornings when I cry and cry and mourn for myself. Some mornings, Im so angry and bitter. But it doesn't last too long. Then I get up and say, 'I want to live...'
What happened to me? I askedmyself. Morrie's high,smoky voice took me back to my university years, when I thought rich people are evil, a shirt and tie were prison clothes, and life without freedom to get up and go --- motorcycle beneath you, breeze on your face, down the strrets of paris, into the mountains of Tibet --- was not a good life at all. What happened to me?
I traded lots of dreams for a bigger paycheck, and I never even realized I was doing it.
Dying is only one thing to be sad over, Mitch. Living unhappily is something else.
The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. We're teaching the wrong things. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, dont buy it. Create your own.
Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do somwthing else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't. You take certian things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted.
A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops
Everyone knows they're going to die but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently.
Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.
(When Morrie's body was getting paralysed, he said) It's the ultimate sign of dependency. I will enjoy the process. I get to be baby one more time.
More to be added as I will go on reading the book, its not a book, its a lesson of a lifetime.

No comments: